Located in the Spires Bolling/Gatewood House and named for Civil Rights heroine Ida B. Wells-Barnett, the museum shares the contributions of African Americans in the fields of history, art and culture.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this restored Georgian-Greek Revival mansion, built in 1847, was once the home of Confederate General Stephen D. Lee, first President of MSU, first Superintendent of Vicksburg National Park, founder of the United Confederate Veterans, and first Chairman of the Board for the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The house is fully furnished and includes personal items of the Lee family and the museum upstairs houses a treasure trove of Civil War artifacts and collections.
Learn the compelling story of one man’s surprising impact on a scarred country, the story of Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar. As Oxford rose from the ashes, L.Q.C. Lamar prepared to become a statesman in this house while he reflected on defeat and resolved to work for reconciliation between North and South. Later it became Senator Lamar’s retreat from the demands of Washington. His beautifully restored 1870 home graces three acres within Oxford’s North Lamar Historic District, walking distance from the Oxford Square. Professional exhibits present Lamar’s life against the backdrop of secession, war, and reunion. The 1870 house was declared a National Historic Landmark for Lamar’s role in national politics after the Civil War.
Effective immediately, the house is open
Friday-Sunday 1:00-4:00 with free admission.
Built in 1857 by one of Corinth’s founders, the home is a significant example of Greek Revival architecture. The house was used in the Civil War as headquarters for Gens. Braxton Bragg, H.W. Halleck, and John B. Hood. The restored home/museum contains a collections of Boehme edition Audobon prints, eighteenth- and nineteenth-century antiques, paintings, and exhibit of replicas of Civil War soldiers’ furnishings made by Corinth’s C&D Jarnigan Company.
Built c.1852, Waverley Plantation Mansion is one of America’s most unique architectural structures. Four circular staircases connect unsupported balconies and a 65-ft. domed foyer. Original ornamental plaster and marble mantels. Once the site of a 2,000 acre cotton plantation.
A popular Spring Pilgrimage Tour home, this 1848 antebellum home features original furnishing and outbuildings, including a smokehouse and a dairy. The current owner is the 7th generation of his family to live in the house, and tours are available throughout the year.
This pillared mansion was built near the street, although the property extended over an entire city block. It includes gardens, stables and servants quarters. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital for Confederate soldiers.
Temple Heights is one of the state’s best examples of period restoration. The classically-designed house combines Federal and Greek Revival features, and the original servant quarters/kitchen as well as a kitchen built in the 1850s remain on the grounds.
Attention Parents There’s still time to register your Junior Ranger for National Junior Ranger Day on Saturday, April 20th, 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Events include a Wet Plate Photography Demonstration, an Infantry Firing Demonstration, and Civil War Games. Please contact the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center at (662) 287-9273, to register. In addition to the morning Junior Ranger program, there will be a Wet Plate Photography Demonstration at 1:00 pm, open to the general public. #visitcorinth ...