French Camp, originally known as the Frenchman’s Camp and used as a recruitment facility by General Andrew Jackson, was founded circa 1810 when Louis LeFleur and his family opened a stand, or tavern, and inn. His son, Greenwood LeFleur, changed the spelling of his last name to LeFlore and later became a Mississippi Senator and Principal Chief of the Choctaw. Visitors traveling down the Natchez Trace can drive or walk through French Camp Historic District. A wooden boardwalk extends through the entire district from the Log Cabin Gift Shop to the Bed & Breakfast Inn, and Greenwood Leflore’s former council house now houses the Council House Café.
Le Fleur Cir, French Camp, Mississippi 39745, United States